Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Wood's Stingray


Though Mark Wood is probably most known for his "flying V" guitar-like Viper violin, the Stingray violin may be his most similar to a traditional "violin shaped" electric violin.
Mark Wood is not only the inventor of the first solid body electric violin, but an original member of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, a composer and educator. He is bringing rock strings to the masses at his Rock Orchestra Camp.
I have a one of a kind Stingray: 5-string fretless custom Stingray, Barbera pick-up, Silver purple fall custom finish. Me with my Stringray -->

Using my Fishman Loudbox 100 acoustic amp, I get the best tone with more bass and mids and less treble on the EQ. I love having 5 strings- the Barbera pickup sounds nice and rich on the lower strings. The instrument came with a cheap set of strings which made the overall tone disappointing at first- but put on your favorite set of strings and it warms up well. I briefly had a fretted 5 string Viper- but couldn't get used to the shape/harness system - it weighed a bit more than I thought and wasn't too comfy. Also had a hard time with the frets- couldn't play like I normally do. I think if the frets were not raised it would have been much better!
The Stingray sounds groovy with my Bad Horsie 2 Wah and Boss effects! (especially distortion and octave pedal!)

No comments:

Post a Comment